Friday, August 18, 2017

CoDoDo: My Countdown to Micky Dolenz, part 5

It's almost here!  Micky Dolenz is in Phoenix -- he was live in studio on the morning news shows today -- and tomorrow night I'll be a raving fanboy at his concert at the Marquee in Tempe!  I've blogging some of my favorite Dolenz Monkees songs this week, and it's been building to this!  Two words:

Shorty Blackwell.

Apparently, Shorty Blackwell was the name of Micky's cat.  I didn't know that when I first heard this song as a kid -- the last song on their Instant Replay album.  For me, "Shorty Blackwell" was my first psychedelic tune, a weird symphony of operatic chanting, horns, and piano solos that plays on a variety of emotions, from whimsy to melancholy and everything in between. Yesterday, I mentioned this song in contrast to "As We Go Along."  "As We Go Along" is quiet, reflective, and organized.  "Shorty" is loud, brash, and outright messy -- proving that Micky's vocals can handle anything.

I could write on and on about the narrative of the song, and what it's meant to me, but I'll let it speak for itself.  Enjoy -- just as I'll enjoy Micky's show tomorrow night.  Yes, there will be a field report!

No comments:

Post a Comment