Thursday, September 7, 2017

Jay Thomas, RIP

The end of August was busy with preparations of Phoenix's Jack Kirby birthday celebration, but now that we've honored the King, I'd like to acknowledge another cool, creative person that just recently passed away -- Jay Thomas.  

Jay is best known for his roles on Mork & MindyMurphy Brown, and Cheers, but I knew him best for throwing a football at a meatball on The Late Show with David Letterman every Christmastime.  In 2016, I wrote an article for Nerdvana Media about what the tradition meant to me, and much to my surprise, Jay actually read it!  One of his producers contacted me about talking to Jay on his Sirius XM radio show, and I was elated at the opportunity.

I'm sure I posted the interview here then, but I'm re-posting now so you can hear how gracious Jay was. Jay was a wry, tongue-in-cheek comedian, but he was kind and genuine with me.  He let me talk about Letterman and plug my stuff, which was a Christmas gift I'll never forget.  To Jay -- and his staff at the radio station -- thank you. We'll miss you, you hippie freak.

No comments:

Post a Comment