Tuesday, August 15, 2017

CoDoDo: My Countdown to Micky Dolenz, part 2

I thought about calling this series "CoDoDoSolo: My Countdown to the Micky Dolenz Solo Show," since he'll be the only Monkee playing at the Marquee this weekend in Tempe, but I thought that was a long title and opted for an edit.  Speaking of edits . . .

"Mommy And Daddy" is probably Micky's most controversial song.  It appeared on "The Monkees Present," the album I admit to enjoying the least as a kid.  Conversely, it has two of my favorite Papa Nez tunes -- "Listen to the Band" and "Good Clean Fun" -- and I remember really liking "Little Girl," but I didn't connect with the rest of the record.  If the Monkees had their way, these songs should've been a part of their ideal double-vinyl set, where each of the guys would've had a side all their own.  Especially sans Peter, I think "Present" was just a little too uneven for my young ears.

Of course, now I totally dig it -- especially Micky's "Mommy And Daddy."  He penned the tune with his Native American roots in mind (that's what he's said) before the song quickly skews into a wild social commentary.  Apparently his initial lyrics were so dark, producers strongly encouraged a re-write.  Here's the original, unreleased version -- if anyone dismisses the Monkees as kids' stuff, just play them this!


The version that was released isn't much brighter.  Micky perhaps wisely drops the references to JFK and outright murder, and the inquiry about Mommy's pills is a little less accusatory.  Of course, it's all over YouTube if you really want to hear it -- and so is a clip or two of Micky himself explaining the song's origins.  

Regardless, "Mommy And Daddy" really transcends its time, considering today's political climate.  As much as I love the tune, I'm saddened that none of its questions have been answered yet, but I'm grateful we'll always have this music to help the pill go down.

No comments:

Post a Comment